It is important and necessary to optimize your WordPress database because things like post revisions and old spam comments can pile up over the time. Also, many times the deleted plugins leave behind unnecessary tables in the WordPress database. This results in an untidy database, and hence makes the job of optimizing them absolutely necessary.
Optimizing WordPress Database
The WordPress database can be cleaned with the use of phpMyAdmin. However, it is seemingly a risky thing. Instead, you can use WordPress plugins to clean and optimize the database. These plugins not just do the job more conveniently, but also make it easy and secure.
In this article we are going to discuss about 5 best WordPress plugins to clean up and optimize database and improve performance. Namely, we are going to tell you about:
- Advanced Database Cleaner
- Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions
- WP- DBManager
- WP Sweep
Exploring Each Of Them
Lets have a look at each plugin so that you can choose according to your need!
This plugin helps you to keep your database clean by removing post revisions and spams in a blaze.
Additionally it allows you to run optimize command on your WordPress tables. The several setting of WP-Optimize are:
- The Optimizer:
The Optimizer offers these CLEAN UP OPTIONS
- Removal of post revisions: When you write posts, everytime you save a draft, its gets stored in the post revisions so that you can Undo if you missed something, you can clean them with the help of this.
- Cleaning spam comments: Any unwanted spam comments can be cleaned up on intervals with this plugin.
- Cleaning trashed comments.
- Removal of all trackbacks and pingbacks
- Removal of transient options: This is more like a caching feature. It stores static data in temporary files so that each time a visitor visits a page, instead of fetching the data from the server, the cached data is shown. This speeds up your site.
- Clear out the post trash
- Ability to keep selected number of weeks data when cleaning up
- Enable/Disable weekly schedules of optimization
- Display Database table statistics: Shows how much space can be optimized and how much space has been cleared.
- General Settings
- Keep Data For Weeks: Now, you can select, for about how much time you want to keep data and then clean up. This option will retain the last selected weeks data and remove any garbage data before that period.
- Enable/Disable Admin Bar Link: This option will put WP-Optimize link in the top admin bar
- Enable/Disable Trackbacks: This will enable/disable trackbacks on all your current and previously published posts.
- Enable/Disable Comments: This will disable/enable Comments on all your current and previously published posts.
- After configuring all of them, Click on SAVE SETTINGS to avail its benefits.
- Auto-Clean Up:
With the help of Auto-clean Up, you can:
- Enable/Disable scheduled clean-up and optimization: You can schedule the time period, after which you want to Clean up or Optimize the database. Automatic cleanup will perform the following: Remove revisions, auto drafts, posts/comments in trash, transient options. After that it will optimize the database. If this feature is enabled, only then the features below will work.
- Remove revisions
- Remove spam comments
- Remove unapproved comments.
- Remove transient data
- Enable Email notifications: You can add your email so that you can receive notifications regarding clean up.
- After you choose your specifications, click on Save Auto Clean-Up Settings.
‘Advanced Database Cleaner’ is a must-have plugin that cleans and optimizes your WordPress database.
- Removes unused data including: Revisions, drafts, auto drafts, pending comments, spam comments, trash comments, orphan postmeta, orphan commentmeta, orphan relationships, and dashboard transient feeds
- Schedules the clean-up and optimization of database to run automatically
- Optimizes the database and improves its efficiency
- View and clean database tables
- Supports multi-site installation
It cleans the excess unused files in one go!
- Deletes revisions of posts and pages.
- Deletes trashed posts, pages and comments
- Deletes spammed comments
- Deletes unused tags
- Deletes ‘expired transients’
- Deletes ‘pingbacks’ and ‘trackbacks’
- Optimizes the database tables
- Creates a log file of the optimizations
- Optimization can be scheduled to automatically run once hourly, twice daily, once daily or once weekly at a specific time
Allows you to optimize database, repair database, backup database, restore database, drop/empty tables and run selected queries. Supports automatic scheduling of backing up, optimizing and repairing of database.
- Database: Here you can see the details about your database and tables name with the index usage. What’s good here is, you can quickly find out which table is using tons of records. Similarly you can find out which one of your plugin is adding too many records in your WordPress database.
- Backup Database: This feature will let you take a backup of your WordPress database.
- Manage Backup Database: Here you can all your database backups and download it. Similarly you can also use this feature to restore your blog from an existing database. Just to give you an idea, your backup is incomplete without the WP-content folder.
- Optimize Database: This feature will let you optimise the database of your blog. You also have the control to select or deselect any table which you don’t want to optimise.
- Repair Database: Many times you will notice that your blog homepage is showing no posts and it happens due to a corrupt database. With this plugin, you can repair your WordPress database.
As the name suggests – It sweeps away all the trash from your database!
It cleans up:
- Auto drafts
- Deleted comments
- Unapproved comments
- Spammed comments
- Orphaned post meta, comment meta, user meta, term meta
- Unused terms
- Duplicated post meta, comment meta, user meta, term meta
- Transient data
In addition to all the cleanup options, you can also optimize tables of your WordPress database.
Hope this article was helpful for you. In case you have any queries regarding this, feel free to write in the comments section below. We’ll be there to help you at the earliest!