Server Error 404 on your website? Missing images? Links leading to nowhere?
What’s all about bad URLs? How to restore them?
Worry no more
BROKEN LINK CHECKER is to the RESCUE
Imagine you are out for some joyful journey and suddenly the place what you arrive at is a dead-end. Now dead hyperlinks are just like those “dead ends” taking you nowhere if you go by this analogy. These rotten links really get into the nerves of users. They are not just irritating on internet but can affect your website’s reputation and rating, by important search engines such as Google, Yahoo. The rotten links on your website hamper the experience of the visitors and curtail the advent of new visitors to your webpage. That means, in order to ensure the credibility of your website, dead hyperlinks are a big “no no“.
What Exactly Broken Links Are?
You might have at once or even more come across certain hyperlinks which, when clicked, display a 404 error code/page. The error hints that the page you are trying to reach does not exist, or has been taken down. Okay, it’s like going to someone’s place only to find that the person does not live there anymore. This can happen for several reasons. Majorly they occur if you have entered an incorrect URL in the address bar or the link has turned “stale” or “obsolete” for now. But don’t go bonkers over dead links because fixing them is no rocket science.
All You Need To Know About Broken Link Checker
The name itself explains the work it does for you. If you have a website, be it large or small, many broken links would have piled up with the course of time. And taking this task of finding and fixing the dead links will put you at your wits’ end. Leave it to the Broken Link Checker – a detection tool that not only locates the bad URLs, but also, in no time, fixes the broken links in your posts/pages.
Benefits of Removing Broken Links (for Visitors and SEO)
Keeping a check of obsolete hyperlinks from your website ensures you in the good books of different search engines, so broken link checker comes as a saviour to the rotten links.
- The plugin detects the missing images, dead links and incorrect URLs, and not only notifies you about the same, but in addition edits, deletes and modifies them for you.
- Removal of broken links ensure the usability of your website to customers, which is an important factor for the visibility of a website or a webpage. So, if Search Engine Optimization is on your mind, you better gotta bid goodbye to broken links.
Install Broken Links Checker from the plugins section in your WordPress dashboard.
Once installed, broken link checker would keep all dead links at bay. A new option for the Link Checker will appear on your dashboard.
You can configure many settings in the plugin. The different settings are:
- Time interval of checking each link (it checks the new links on the spot)
- E-mail notifications of the broken links
- Place where to look for links in (comment sections / blogrolls / posts)
- Apply custom formatting to broken links and much more
You can also adjust some advanced settings with the Advanced Tab.
Now when you are ready to fix the broken links, this plugin will start checking for the dead links. When parsing is complete it will notify about the dead links. The time taken for parsing depends on the size of the website.
Finally, when all the broken links are detected by the plugin, a list of the same is displayed.
What to do with the Broken Links?
On clicking each link you will come across several actions that can be taken on these stale links which you will be briefed about here:
- EDIT – This option edits the URL (even if the link appears on more than one place)
- NOT BROKEN – If a working link is listed as broken due to some network error, this option is used to mark it as “not broken”.
- UNLINK – Deletes the obsolete links, but not the text.
- DISMISS – If you acknowledge some link as broken but anyways you want to leave it like that.
- RECHECK – If you think that the link would have been restored by now, this option is used to check the validity of the link.
You can perform “bulk action” on all your broken links, if it takes really that long to go through each and every link.
To ensure a good experience for users, keeping the information updated is crucial. Furthermore, with an automated link checker, not only the users have the hassle free experience with your site, but a good amount of time and labor is saved. Therefore, scrapping dead links is amazingly easy. Thanks to Broken Link Checker.