Huge images – Huge problems? Don’t worry! WP Smush will deal with it by removing all the useless bulky data from your images, without deteriorating the image quality. Since, it is voted as the best image optimizer on WordPress, WP Smush does all the work for you, auto-magically! And the best part is – it’s available for FREE!
What All It Does?
- Bulk Smush your entire media library.
- Scales your images on upload. (on the basis of the limit you set)
- Automatically smush on uploading.
- Smush images upto 32MB.
- Preserve EXIF data.
- Optimizes images without spoiling the image quality.
What Is The Need?
Large image files may be slowing down your site, without you even knowing it. No one wants unhappy readers. So, everytime your reader opens up your page, let them see fine quality images, in absolutely no time! WP Smush quickly smushes every single one of your images, and cuts all the unnecessary data without slowing down your site. Also, when the image sizes are less, it’ll take less time for your server to fulfil the request. This will also save bandwidth if you don’t have an unlimited bandwidth plan.
So, start smushing today!
Setting Up WP Smush
As soon as you install and activate WP Smush – Image Optimization, navigate to Media > WP Smush, for further configuration.
WELCOME! You’re done with the installation, now lets see what more is needed to be done.
On the left hand side, you see a box that tells you how many images are pending to be smushed, click on “Bulk Smush Now”. Wait for the process that starts to finish.
After it’s done, you can see all your images have been smushed (optimized to the best) and up to date. Awesome!
When you’re done with the smushing, in the right hand side, you’ll see the stats of your smushed data.
Stats will show how much image size reduction have been done till date. Also, the option “Re-Check Images” will allow you to check if the pictures could be further optimized.
Next comes the “Settings” section, it allows you to configure
- Automatically Smush images on uploading: By enabling this option, WP Smush will automatically smush the images once you upload them, you don’t have to optimize them manually.
- Preserve image EXIF data: EXIF refers to settings and scene information recorded by a digital camera and embedded within each file. It voluntarily makes image files larger, in order to preserve this information, in case you are a photographer (say), you can enable this option.
- Resize original images:
Enabling Resize original images, lets you set a maximum width and height of your images. Whenever you upload any image they will, by default, resize according to the limit set by you. In this way, you can clean up much of the space on your server. Also, the images, being optimized, will open up in no time. And the most important, it will not affect the image quality. The default size that is set by WordPress is shown above.
- After you’re done with the settings part, don’t forget to click on “Update Settings“
Now, you can see how easy-to-go and effortless the process is, just one click and you have all your images optimized. I hope you found this tutorial helpful. In case you come up with any problems, write them down in the comments section below, and we will be there to help you out!
Go on Smushing!